Between 1607 and 1612 Walter Jones, a wealthy wool merchant, built Chastelton House which was conceived as a lavish status symbol. As the house was still under construction at the time of his wedding to Anne Fettiplace, daughter of Sir Edmund Fettiplace and Ann Alford, the Fettiplace Coat of Arms were incorporated in the overmantle.
The Fettiplace family history dated from the 13th Century. Its curious and intriguing name was of Anglo-Norman French origin, derived from an occupational surname for an Usher, an attendant specifically employed to escort or direct people to the places prepared for them in a nobleman's house, or the court.
Chastleton House came to the National Trust in 1991 after 400 years of continuous ownership by this increasingly impoverished family. It is now open to visitors by appointment only.